God revealed Himself to Moses as I AM. Some truths we learn from this name of God:
- God has no equal: “There is no equivalent for God but God. If you place God on the one side of your symbol of equation (=), there is nothing to put on the other but Himself.” (Meyer)
- God is eternal and unchanging: God told Moses His name was I AM because God simply is, there never was a time that God did not exist or a time when He will cease to exist. God simply is
- God does not need anything or anybody: The name I AM implies that God is completely independent. He relies on nothing for life or existence (Isaiah 40:28-29; John 5:26).
- Jesus identified Himself as the voice from the bush: Jesus took on this divine title I AM repeatedly during His ministry including the famous seven I AM we find in the gospels
The consistency of God through the Bible is just another reason to trust in God and His eternal Word.
Seven I AM Jesus identified Himself with
Jesus said I AM
- The bread of life (John 6:35)
- The door (John 10:7)
- The resurrection and the life (John 11:25)
- The light of the world (John 8:12)
- The way the truth and the life (John 14:6)
- The Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14)
- The true Vine (John 15:1)