Read the Bible in One Year: OT 2 Samuel 12-13, NT Luke 16
Luke 16:26 – “And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.”
God is unchanging, He is immutable.
Jesus told the story of Lazarus and the rich man. The rich manâ€™s wealth was evident in his fine linen and expensive lifestyle. Not far from this rich man lay Lazarus, a desperately poor and sick man, with sores licked by dogs, and squarely ignored by him. Both men eventually die. Lazarus who did not even have the honor of a burial in this life, was carried by angels to Abrahamâ€™s side, while the rich man ends up in Hades. They were not far each other, and yet, a world apart. The rich manâ€™s place is full of torment and pain, while Lazarus enjoyed the comfort and care of Abraham. Though the rich man could see and speak with Abraham, he wasnâ€™t close to him at all. There was aÂ great gulf fixedÂ between them, and their destinies were fixed for all time.
The immutability of God and His Word serves as an unwavering foundation amidst a constantly shifting world. This truth is beautifully illustrated through the fixed and unchangeable boundary between heaven and Hades, symbolizing the eternal separation between God and sin. Just as the great chasm remains steadfast, so does God and His Wordâ€”constant and unalterable, untouched by the passing of time.
God is immutable, and His unchanging nature is evident in His eternal decrees. As affirmed in Malachi 3:6 and James 1:17, the Lord does not change; He is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). In a world of uncertainties, we find profound assurance in the constancy of God and His Word, guiding us with unending truth and offering steadfast love and grace.
How do we respond to this Immutable, unchanging God? Â
- Trust and Confidence: God’s immutability assures us of His unwavering faithfulness and reliability. We can trust Him completely, knowing that His promises are sure and His love endures forever (Psalm 102:27). Our confidence in God is grounded in His unchanging nature, and this provides stability in uncertain times (Numbers 23:19).
- Surrender and Submission: Recognizing God’s immutability leads us to surrender to His will and submit to His authority. Knowing that His plans and purposes are steadfast, we yield to His guidance and direction, allowing Him to shape our lives according to His perfect design (Isaiah 55:8-9, Romans 12:1-2).
- Comfort in Trials: Amid the trials and challenges of life, the unchanging nature of God offers comfort and hope. His steadfastness becomes an anchor for our souls, assuring us that He is with us through every storm and will never abandon us (Isaiah 41:10, Psalm 4:1-2).
- Obedience and Faithfulness: God’s immutability calls us to obey His commands and remain faithful to Him. As His character remains constant, so should our commitment to living a life that honors and glorifies Him (Deuteronomy 6:17, 1 Corinthians 4:2).
Let us daily draw near to this Immutable God, knowing that He is our sure foundation, our constant companion, and our eternal hope. In Him, we find the unchanging love and grace that sustains us, transforms us, and empowers us to live for His glory. As we anchor our lives in the unchanging Rock of God, may our lives reflect His unchanging nature to a world in need of a steadfast and faithful Savior.
- How does the truth of God’s immutability impact your daily life and perspective, especially in the midst of life’s uncertainties and changes?
- During challenging times, where do you typically find comfort and hope? How does the unchanging nature of God serve as an anchor for your soul during difficult circumstances?
- Consider your obedience and faithfulness to God’s commands. How can His immutability inspire you to remain steadfast in honoring and glorifying Him, even when facing obstacles or temptations?
For more daily devotions like this – At the Potter’s Wheel (Kindle)